Monday, July 4, 2011

From Headboard to Storage Bench

I have always been fascinated with woodworking. The way wood can be "molded" into something functional and/or beautiful is really intriguing to me. I have never made anything from wood other than a birdhouse when I was little. My dad did all the cutting and most of the hammering. Maybe I used glue? Really, I had nothing to do with it.

Even though I've never done "real" woodworking, I was determined to make a storage bench. Who can't use extra storage? I found some article online about making a storage bench out of a headboard. Such a fantastic idea. When I visited the thrift store, I found the perfect headboard and footboard. It was an Ethan Allen twin set for only $10! I couldn't believe it. I bought the set and drove home to start planning.

I already cut the footboard in half. It will become the arm rests. I also cut off the ornamental feet. They will be on the bench but further down. You'll see. 

Conveniently, my father was in town. He bought me a Craftsman table saw on Craigslist.com for only $50. We went to Home Depot to get the wood we would need for the rest of the bench and storage area. We bought a new blade and key for it and the cutting began! 

Using a table saw to cut all the pieces is pretty intimidating. If the wood is caught on the way through it can kick back and fly straight into you. Dangerous? Yes. Scary? Yes. Worth it? Oh, yes! It happened while I was cutting a board for the storage box. I was feeding some of the wood through and it cough and flew back but went past me. Thanks God!

Work on the bench took a while. I sanded the entire thing, with my new sander, and broke all the edges on the plywood. I primed the entire thing, even the inside, and finally painted it an off white/cream color. I think it was called Eggshell Dream or something cheesy like that. I put in so much reinforcement that it's probably safe to jump on, though I wouldn't advise it. My dad instructed me on how to make it the best we could and it turned out really great. I couldn't have done it without his help and of course my favorite store, Home Depot. Now all I need to do is make a cushion for it, so it's soft on the tush, and stuff it with...stuff!



I loved making this piece of furniture. Even though I finished it and I think it's great, I wouldn't recommend making this a newbie's first project. I didn't use a "pattern", we just wung it.  I can't wait to start on my next project. Built in bookcases here I come!

No comments:

Post a Comment