Monday, July 4, 2011

Backyard Garden

Produce simply costs too much. Why do healthy/natural foods cost so much more than processed, sugary, fatty, deadly foods? Hoping to save a little bit on groceries and make my family healthier, I've made a garden. It's tiny but a start to something healthy and fun for the family. Rowan loves to water the plants and carry around one of the potted sunflowers. I've tried my best to teach her to be gentle. (We're still working on it.)

I visited various garden centers to find the right plants and seeds. Most of the plants I used this year were seedlings. It was just easier. My dad, husband and I cut the boards for the fence. I used 6 or 7 bags of mulch and I feel like I could use more.

My dog was probably the most excited about the garden. He thought the mulch was the best chew toy ever. So, we put a poor man's fence around it. It's ugly, but it works.

After I finished the garden with the little fence, I decided that I needed to plant some pie pumpkin seeds. I had to move the fence out and dig up the ground to mix it with the garden soil. Lots of work, but I know the kids will love painting the pumpkins when they're ready in October. And we'll also try to make pumpkin pie from scratch.

The next time I decide to make a garden, I'll do raised beds. I think they look much nicer and there's not as much digging involved! I can see how it would get really easy to become discouraged.
Some of the zucchini plants are producing very small fruits.We've eaten several delicious tomatoes and stuffed jalapeno peppers. It's truly a joy to find food in  my backyard.

No comments:

Post a Comment